Friday, February 11, 2011

Are You Willing?

When God awakened me 5 years ago and I in turn pledged my entire being to Him for eternity, I could have never anticipated all that would happen. Along the way I found that the cost was great and so was the reward.

I didn't know all I would have to lay down, but I didn't need to know it then. Those things would come at their proper time as God was free to lead me and nudge me gently when it was time to lay this one down, and then that one. Not all of them at once. It is a daily cross to bear.

If you say yes to God, to His call on your life, it's going to cost you everything.

I will be the first to tell you I never wanted to be a missionary. But now I can't imagine doing anything else. Jesus just likes to do that. :)

When I was 18 I was standing on a balcony overlooking the land of Haiti, and I knew that something was about to happen in my life. I didn't know that thing was going to be heartbreak. In that moment I felt the nearness of His presence as He nudged me to respond to Him. I stood there with tears welling up in my eyes and said "Lord, I am not afraid for my heart to be broken."

As soon as those words left my mouth I let go of control, and He could finally take what I had been grasping so tightly for so long. I only had a few days left in Haiti at that point, and those few days He showed Himself faithful to do what I asked. He broke my heart. I left this country WRECKED, little did I know it was just beginning. My heart had only started to crack.

In the months that followed as I was back home, my heart was BROKEN. Into pieces. And here I am 3 years later, and I survived. And my heartbreaking was absolutely neccessary. He is so good.

I can tell you firsthand: What you will gain is 10,000 times better than what you will lay down.

Say yes to the Lord and His purposes, even if you're scared. There's something about that free fall into the unknown that is so liberating. If you don't do it, you're going to always wonder what could have happened if you did.

There are no limits to what God wants to birth through you and all it takes is a willing, obedient vessel.

Do you want to find favor with God and with men? I'm gonna tell you how. God's favor rests on the heart that says yes. The heart that burns in the private, secret place where no one else sees.

Will you be a lover of God who will get down on your knees in your closet where no one can see you and labor in prayer? Then you can have His favor.

Will you be a child that longs for purity? Then you can have His favor.

Will you be a servant who loves people even when it hurts, who loves when it isn't repayed, appreciated or even noticed? Then you can have His favor.

It takes a lot. But it gives more.

If you say yes to a life of love, to a sacrifice of your own plans and desires, you will reap rewards you never imagined that will come when God swings wide the doorway of your life and heart and blows your mind with His presence on, in and through you.

And when you are 85 you will look back and remember the day you gave Him everything, the day your heart broke, the day you were on your knees in tears before Him, surrendering your life and laying everything down, and say "It was worth it."

No comments:

Post a Comment