Friday, July 1, 2011

IT'S JULY!

I can't believe it! My first month in Africa is complete. What a crazy whirlwind experience. My weekend outreach has been one of the highlights. Showing the Jesus film in remote mountain villages, going around from house to house praying for the sick and oppressed, and loving on hearts that need Jesus. All ages.

I've had many other experiences as well, and hundreds of stories building up in my heart that I can't wait to tell. Here are a few:

I have been making great friends among the Mozambican pastors. These young men are incredible. When I was 17 I read Rolland and Heidi's book 'Always Enough'. In this book there are many stories about the children they found and rescued from extremely horrific circumstances. I have actually had the opportunity to meet several of these children who are now no longer children! Yesterday I met a young man around 26 or 27 whose name is Ernesto. He is in the book! He was resuced when he was 12 years old off the streets. I read his story when I was 17 and wept. Meeting him face to face, is such a picture of the LOVE of God! We talked for about half an hour sitting at a little cafe called Tropical. He is just beaming with life and hope. He's going to school and then going to be an evangelist.

Mozambique has only just recovered in the last 4 or 6 years from the decades of war and natural disaster that went on for years. One day a few weeks ago I was on a boat ride and one of the Mozambicans who was rowing it looked around at the ocean and then started smiling and he looked at me and said 'Now the war is over and we are free. Now Jesus is in Mozambique.' It blessed my heart so much!

The other day I made a peanut butter and jam sandwich on one of our leftover breakfast rolls for my lunch. (Rice and beans get a little monotonous) So I went out on to the back porch to eat it when I felt like God was telling me to just pause for a moment. So I did, and I heard 'When was the last time you actually thanked God for your meal' And honestly, I don't remember ever thanking the Lord for my meals. We always pray before dinner and everything, but when I bow my head I do it out of routine and it never even crosses my mind that GOD HAS GIVEN ME DAILY BREAD. God has provided for my needs. And as I sat there looking at my sandwich I said 'THANK YOU, LORD'. And felt so much thankfulness welling up inside me. I'm so used to always eating, and when you grow up in a culture where there is always an over abundance, you just expect there to be lots of food all the time. It never occurs to you that the LORD has given this. He has provided for me. It made me sad that I have lived for 21 years and never even thought about the Lord who is my provider and sustainer and who gives me daily bread. In my case, way more than just my daily bread. He has blessed me so much.

I'm out of time for now, but I will try to get back and write another post as soon as I can. One month to go! Love you all and see you in August! :)

2 comments:

  1. LOVE YOU BEAN!!!! PRAYING FOR YOU!!! <3 xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been praying for you! Sarah Grace and Jonah both miss you so much and can't wait until you get back home. SG even had my Mema stop by your house one day on a walk because she wanted to see how you were doing. They talked to your dad I think. So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete